In Israel, the same copyright laws do not apply as in the US. To get around the system, teachers here in Israel (at least at Schechter but I think that HU did the same) give a copy of the required readings to the library in the form of something resembling a course packet. Then a guy named Razi (might not be his real name. As a friend put it: Razi is to Middle East as Ruzzo is to Italian Mafia) comes, takes the packet and makes copies that are then sold in the lobby of the building. Apparently, the professors are not allowed to have direct contact with Razi so they cannot tell us when the packets will be ready...maybe this week or next.
As for the other classes, I loved my Hebrew Bible class today- Mi Kamocha Baelim. I like the professor and decided to take this class after being introduced to him and asking him what was his favorite course to teach. It is a study of God and the realtionship with God in the Bible. Today we started to look at the names of God and to ask the question "Is Judaism more of a monotheistic religion or a monolatry religion?" Similar to the word idolatry, which is the beleif in multiple Gods, monolatry is the belief in one God but the recognition that there is more than one God.
As for my other Tuesday class, not as grand. Medieval Jewish Philosophy. Ugh! I have to admit that I have enough trouble with philosophy and understanding philosophy in English with English readings that it seems impossible when taught in Hebrew by a professor with a thick American accent. Will have to see if the course gets changed to English and I am happy that it is just one semester.
Yesterday, I had 3 classes- all in Hebrew. First period I had a course in Jewish Law. It is titled: Educational issues in the rabbinic questions and answers from the Ottoman and Islamic periods. In short it is a sociological look at the issues of the Jews from the 15th to 17th centuries from the prespective of education. Then I sat in a Midrash class on parshat hashavuah. This class was great- especially when a disgruntled classmate bemoaned having missed out on Parashat Bereshit and the professor's response was- some years we miss Noah too. Student-0, Professor-1. The third class was halakah lemaaseh. It looks like this semester is going to be great as we look at the application of the law for today by focussing on teshuvot and current issues.
Monday I had Talmud and Liturgy. Talmud we are going to focus on Arvei Pesachim (Ch. 10 of the trachtate on Passover- what I studied to get out of Mechina but I think that this time, I might actually follow and gain insight on what is being discussed in the text). Liturgy is very different from the liturgy course that I took last year at JTS. This semester we are looking at different traditions of prayer and are reqired to try different minyanim around Jerusalem.
All in all, a busy but good semester.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment