Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Army socks

Ari and I have a joke about socks. When I was in Thailand, I left him packages to open each day with cute, funny and sweet things. And then there were socks. Ari has running socks (white tube socks), army socks (grey tube socks) and Shabbat socks (slack socks). The shabbat socks were getting holes so I figured that as a good girlfriend, I would replace them...even if they were "holy." So I went to the store and they happened to have a sale so I got him 3 packs of socks (each with 2 pairs). The two packs of shabbat socks were in the two Friday packages and then I also got him a pair of ankle socks for running (such low socks warrented a shehechiyanu for Ari). As Ari was opening the packages, he make a comment that I must not have liked his socks since I was trying to replace them all...so in Thailand, I took a picture of a table at the Chiang Mai Sunday market of what I was not bring home as souveniers.

So when I got back to Israel, the joke was on me. I realized that while I had bought all of these new socks for Ari, 2 of the 3 pairs of socks that I had with me had holes. Now I was the one with "holy" socks. Ari said that we should go to replace them and I agreed.

Then Ari told me that the army could buy me new socks. WHAT? Buy an American Rabbinical Student socks? Was it because Ari and I have the same size shoes? Does the army care?

I knew that certain soldiers in the army have Nekudot (points) in three categories- uniform, sport and personal. They can use these points like the dining or flex dollars that universities have for certain stores or items and they are taken out of one of the three areas. Apparently, Ari can use the points to buy whatever he wants- as long as it falls within one of the three categories. So the army bought me 5 new pairs of socks. Thanks Tzahal!

Apparently the army could also buy me bras...

No comments:

Post a Comment